Lembaga Pendidikan Jurnalistik

This blog will present my news stories (in Bahasa and English) , my journalistic teaching materials, my opinions , as well as my personal stories.

Monday, December 08, 2008

How to Report a Religious-Related Issue ?

By Yuri Alfrin Aladdin

Journalist and Ombudsman of Antara News Agency


In 2000 , when Abdurahman Wahid was a President of Indonesia , I intended to cover a story about Friday pray in a mosque in Depok, West Java province. Friday pray is a special muslim pray conducted only on Friday noon. At that time, I wanted to write about muslim clerics opinions about Presiden Abdurahman Wahid or famous with his nick name "Gus Dur".

Gus Dur actually was a leader of the biggest muslim organization in Indonesia, Nahdlatul Ulama, as well as a chairman of the National Awakening Party (PKB) . Gus Dur became the fourth Indonesian president by replacing President B.J.Habibie in 1999, after Habibie was impeached by People Consultative Assembly (MPR).

The mosque was located in a housing complex of Permata Duta, Depok, West Java province. I chosed this mosque since I knew that most of muslim people living surrounding the area were from Nadhlatul Ulama (NU). I can say that this area is an NU's bases.

The khotib or preacher at the Friday pray is usually also from NU. Initially, khotib talked about the need for NU's people to support President Gus Dur as he was also a leader of NU. Then, the khotib told the audience about the sharp rivality between Gus Dur and Amien Rais, leader of Muhamadiyah, the second biggest muslim organization in Indonesia.

Amien Rais at the time was also a Chairman of National Mandate Party (PAN). He always criticized Gus Dur's policies although actually he was the one who initially had the idea and proposed Gus Dur to be a president, replacing Habibie.When he criticized Gus Dur, his capacity was a leader of PAN, not as a Muhammadiyah's leader actually.

When mentioning about amien Rais, the khotib started to use harsh language. He cursed and condamed Amien Rais as a traitor. Finally , khotib said in high intonation that Amien Rais' blood is "halal". It means that Amien Rais is justified to be killed by muslim people according to Sharia (Islam law).

I was so shocked when I heard this. It was true Khotib did not ask his "ummah" (followers) to kill Amien Rais. But he made a justification for his ummah to kill Amien Rais by interpreting the Sharia by himself.

Khotib made a misinterpretation of Sharia. I could not believe it.

I have read previously in newspapers about this "death sentence decision" from middle east muslim clerics to Salman Rusdi, a writer from England who wrote novel "Satanic Verses". But , at the time, I heard by myself when a preacher said that "Amien Rais' blood is halal."

It was so hard to me to write the story and quote what khotib said. If I wrote this, Muhammadiyah people would make a hard reaction. It might be the Muhamadiyah leader would make a retaliation by saying that "Gus Dur's blood is halal." "War" between the two biggest muslim organizations could be happened if I wrote about the story.

After consultating with some of my senior editors in Antara News Agency, I decided to not write the story.

Since that time , I have learnt that writing a religious-related issue of news story could be more difficult and sensitive than political-related issue.

I learn that as a journalist we have to have some rules in dealing with religious issue story. First, our news story should be neutral, not tend to a certain religion or certain religion group. As a journalist, we should be above of all religion groups.

Second, our story should create a peaceful situation for people. It is forbidden for us to make an unrest among people by our stories. Therefore, there is a justification for journalist to not write the story which we think has a potency to make an unrest among people.

Third, journalists should be careful and selective in chosing the sources. Before interviewing a muslim scholar or clerics (uelama), it's better to know about his thought or opinion he has stated previously in mass media. If he is an extreem or fundamentalist muslim, it's better to not interview him. Find out another source who his statement could be positive for our readers.

Fourth, it's better to know a bit about the religion's rules. That's why , it's better for a muslim journalist to cover about Eid Mubarak Day than a Christian journalist, as well as it's better a christian journalist to cover about Christmast Day than a muslim journalist.

Fifth, in writing about conflict between different religion's people, it's better first to get a statement first from top official government, and top leaders from both religious organizations. Of course, we only quote the positive statements will play down the conflict.

Sixth, if we face an issue related with different positive interpretation on Islamic’s rule among Islamic groups , we should show all interpretations. However, we should get also an opinion from Indonesian Uelama Council (MUI) .

For example, sometimes there is a different opinion between and Muhammadiyah in determining Eid Fitr (Idul Fitri) Day. Therefore, we can write both muslim orgnizations’ opinion and ask too to MUI’s opinion. Let people decide what opinion they will follow. (end)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home